In 2006 I wrote a brief essay for my mother-in-law outlining why I believed organic food and clothing (cotton & hemp) were important. While I still view that essay as valid, it is now dated. There is much more detailed information available now than what I could find on the Internet then. I probably should update that description, but for now I’ll share here two more sets of reasons why organic is important–bees and personal health.
Bee Colony Collapse Disorder is a complicated issue. It appears that a cocktail of pesticides and fungicides makes bees susceptible to a parasite. Learn more here:
- Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths, and it’s really bad news (Jaymi Heimbuch, Treehugger)
- Scientists discover what’s killing the bees and it’s worse than you thought (Todd Woody, Quartz)
In addition to the health benefits of eating organic food noted in my 2006 essay, the following recent stories add more details:
- MIT Paper Links Chemicals Used on Genetically Modified Foods to Infertility and Cancer (Robyn O’Brien, Prevention)
- Study: Monsanto’s Roundup Herbicide Linked to Cancer, Autism, Parkinson’s (Andrea Germanos, Common Dreams)
- New Study Finds Roundup Could be Linked to Severe Health Issues (A.M. White, Nation of Change)
- GMO feed turns pig stomachs to mush! Shocking photos reveal severe damage caused by GM soy and corn (Mike Adams, Natural News)
Preserve your health and the bees, eat (and wear) organic!