Resources on Racial Justice
April 13, 2015 Leave a comment
I have not read widely on racial topics, I admit up front. At a recent conference on race and justice, I learned about two books that look like important ones to engage.
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (Michelle Alexander). We watched this presentation that she gave in 2013. From a gender perspective, the book looks like it might compliment Disruptive Christian Ethics: When Racism and Women’s Lives Matter (Traci West). I mean, it sounds like Alexander is focusing more on men, and West focuses on women in this book.
- The White Racial Frame: Centuries of Racial Framing and Counter-Framing (Joe Feagin).
Here are a few other related links:
- What riding my bike has taught me about white privilege (Jeremy Dowsett, Quartz, 29 Aug 2014)
- The unintended consequences of mass incarceration (Lexington, The Economist, 8 Apr 2010)
- How the Mass Incarceration of Black Men Hurts Black Women (Black Economic Development, 8 Sept 2011)
Police Killing Unarmed People Must Stop (David Couper, Red Letter Christians, 28 Mar 2015)