When the story of Rachel Dolezal’s secret identity broke, I had no idea how to think through it. Naturally, I turned to “hashtag research” to see what others were saying. Here are some of the posts that stood out to me. Below are articles that I found or that were shared with me later.
- [I had more, but 3 of them were apparently removed.]
This showed up along the way – https://instagram.com/p/3322FBuaI5/ – reminding me that I had just been learning about the TX incident when the identity story went live. Too many stories too fast. I can’t learn from one before the next one hits.
- On Rachel and the Nature of Blackness (Jaclyn’s Thought Roundup, 15 June 2015)
- Rachel Dolezal Syndrome (Ali Michael, Educating for Equity, 12 June 2015)
- Why Comparing Rachel Dolezal To Caitlyn Jenner Is Detrimental To Both Trans And Racial Progress (Zeba Blay, Huffington Post, 12 June 2015)
- There is no comparison between transgender people and Rachel Dolezal (Meredith Talusan, The Guardian, 12 June 2015)
- Is Rachel Dolezal Black Just Because She Says She Is? (Jamelle Bouie, Slate, 12 June 2015)
- It Isn’t Crazy to Compare Rachel Dolezal With Caitlyn Jenner (Vanessa Vitiello Urquhart, Slate, 15 June 2015)
- Adoptees to Rachel Dolezal: You’re Not Transracial (Frances Kai-Hwa Wang, NBC, 17 June 2015)